Saturday, April 20, 2013

When in doubt, follow the classic Hollywood script formula!

Teresa scowled with her bushy eyebrows.

"I'm 26 and I still haven't found myself."

It was a realization that came that morning with Cheerios. As she munched the same oaty flavor, it hit like the spoon hiting the bowl.

"I work in a sheet metal factory and I don't know who I am! I didn't want to go into sheet metal! Why didn't I go to MYU?"

Her boyfriend Cho ate his fruity pebbles and nodded. "Y-You're doing great, honey. We've got a great routine going here. You're making a lot of money." He picked up his bowl and squeeked across the floorboards to the sink.

Teresa shook her head.
Later at work, Teresa turned off her gigantic spot welder machine and removed her safety glasses. She glided through the machines and workers to the supervisor Tompkins' office door.

"No, you can't go to Cancun! You have to schedule off your vacations, and you've already used all of yours this year!"
"Mr. Tompkins, I need to find myself and God so my only choice is to go on a roadtrip to Mexico, or fly to Hawaii." She cocks her head to the side, as though annoyed by the idea that she has to go.
"No! We've got you Monday through Thursday next week! If you want time off you've got to give more advanced notice!" He looked back down at his office desk. A loud sheer began in the background yards from the open door.

"BUT!" Teresa shouted, "I need to do this! God told me while I was eating breakfast!"

Mr. Tompkins rubbed his bald temples.

"You don't know who you are because you haven't strived to ask. You'll never know the full extent of who you are, but the only way that you can ever figure out who you are is by stepping into the shoes of others, so that you can see yourself through their viewpoint. You can't look at who you are with your own eyes; you must see through the view of another."

Teresa went silent. "That gave me goose pimples."

"I've been to Hawaii before."

No comments:

Post a Comment